Saturday, June 26, 2010

In the World but Not of the World

It's funny how times and opinions and tastes change with time. They used to make us do Current Event reports in various classes in middle school in order to encourage us to know what was going on in the world by reading the newspaper. I really didn't like doing them. The newspaper was boring! Sadly I still find much of the news boring. But there is a heads and tails to every issue, even those within my head. Here are just some of my thoughts about why I do and don't do an adequate job at staying informed.

Ignorance is Bliss:

-A lot of stuff in the news is depressing and scary and guilt-inducing! It's discouraging to read about the deplorable acts that supposed humans do to each other or could do to you. All of a sudden I am torn between the urge to buy a couple extra locks for my door and some pepper spray or to switch my major to some more politically active field of study. I wish I could solve problems on a global scale and that my vote, my opinion, and my efforts to recycle could all be magnified.

-TIME: There just isn't enough time! They say students have to pick 2 of the 3 options of school, sleep and social life. Well I prioritize in that order (sometimes sadly) and News doesn't start with "S" so it just doesn't fit into my priority list.

Knowledge is Power:

-I love learning! This is a large part of why I am planning on being a teacher; I want to share my love of knowledge and learning with other people. I really do feel that knowing things is empowering. I feel that in fitting together ideas of how the world works it somehow makes the chaos of life seem a little further away for just a moment. Also, knowing about the world around me and being able to understand helps me to remember the Lord's hand in my life. When it comes to the news, although it can be depressing it helps me count my blessings.

-Researched opinions: I hate when people Bama Bash, talk politics or discuss any recent news and are blabbing "facts" that to me do not seem well researched or, sometimes, even plausible. If you have an opinion and you plan on sharing it I think that your opinion should be based on facts and not on what came down the grapevine or grew out of your colleagues' ears. It continually frustrates me, especially when I am with my "older and wiser" people, that I can't speak out and up against what they are saying in any tactful or respectful way because I don't know what's going on even if I can tell they don't. I just have to smile politely, nod "uh-huh" and say, "Really? I hadn't heard that. That sounds ___."

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to many of your experiences- researched opinions, loving learning, and ignorance being bliss.

    ReplyDelete