Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Current

I feel caught up and lost in life again.
The rush of time is pushing from behind,
What is rushing past
causing me to stumble forward.

I wade in deeper,
digging into the pebbles and sand with my feet,
clinging with my toes and flinging my arms out wide
trying to keep my balance.

But the slick coating of algae on the rocks
prevents me from finding my footing
on what should feel more solid
and more familiar after each dip and crossing.

One wrong step-
one wrong choice-
and I teeter with the breeze and current,
stranded on one unsteady limb.

Reminding myself to breathe
I place my air-born foot down beneath me.

My heart beat settles.

I gain composure.

Then at that exact moment God sends a bird swooping,
calling
me back to the reality
of his power over my every predicament.

I fall backwards with a splash.

And I laugh.

For I was trying too hard to travel through life and time
forgetting to just sit and soak it in.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny the way people try to live their lives.
    Some people try to live in the future, thinking that when they get through this year, or this month, or this day, or this hour, that things will be better than they are now. They keep waiting for a happiness that is overwhelming, that baffles the one who experiences it because of the sudden onset of brilliant joy.
    Some people, on the other hand, try to live in the past by re-running in their brains those crucial moments in their past that have had the most lasting impact for or against their happiness. They try to reanimate the dead instead of creating something new and pure from the here and now.
    But I think that's where the beauty and simplicity of your last two lines of text have struck me the most.
    We travel, trying to hard to create those momentously serendipitous events that might not ever happen because we are forgetting that the greatest happiness is to be joyously amazed at what our current state has become.
    Those who are the most delighted with life are those who are content with whom they have become and know with certainty that things will be better as they continue to stretch their limits. And who knows, maybe they will find their potential really was infinite.

    ReplyDelete